Saturdays 10th and 24th March - Volunteering with the John Strutt Foundation - Section on the old Stainmore railway 10.00 am
Do you fancy volunteering with the John Strutt Foundation on a section of the old Stainmore railway?
- completing the removal of ash saplings from the track-bed
- strimming/raking the rockrose embankment to clear it of regenerating ash, bramble & hazel
- raking strimmed vegetation clear of the herb-rich grassland on rockrose embankment
- strimming raspberry, rosebay willowherb within Bighill Cutting
- transplanting more melancholy thistle - courtesy of Simon - from his garden
- raking nettle roots out of the track-bed
- burning ash saplings and nettle roots
Directions - If you would like to volunteer, please head for the village of Winton near Kirkby Stephen. The Bay Horse Inn (CA17 4HS) lies at the heart of the village. From there take the hill road: after a km (1/2 mile), take the R hand road to Rookby Scarth and climb for another km until you come to where the Kirkby Stephen - Stainmore railway once bridged the road at the entrance to Rookby Scarth farm. (OS Explorer map OL19, grid reference NY 798 101). Please do not obstruct the upper side of the entrance track: parking should be on the opposite downslope verge. From there, climb the stone-steps on the South side of the road onto the old railway track-bed and walk up to a km along the footpath until you encounter the volunteers working. Please make yourself known.
Wednesday 14th March 2018 - The Arts Society, Appleby in Westmorland - Appleby Market Hall
`Cartoonery: English Attitudes'
Starts at 11am (coffee is served from 10.15am - 10.45am) There is a small cost of £8 to non-members. For more information about our society please visit our website www.taswestmorland.org.uk